Business Between 125,000 and 200,000 patients with cirrhosis in the US are hospitalized due to complications of HE
Umecrine Cognition aims to develop the lead project through early clinical validation. For this purpose the company is open for financial investors for co-development in a milestone-based exit strategy. Once proof of principle in man has been achieved, Umecrine Cognition will seek commercial partnering with a pharmaceutical company capable of providing appropriate commercial development and marketing strength.
HE is a severe disorder with a large unmet need. In total, liver cirrhosis affects up to 1% of the US and EU populations (1)(2). Between 125,000 and 200,000 patients with cirrhosis in the US are hospitalized due to complications of HE (3). Once HE develops, mortality reaches 22-35% after 5 years (4)(5). HE is also associated with large societal and individual costs. The total cost for hospitalizations with HE in the US was recently estimated to have increased from $1.6bn in 2005 to $2.0bn in 2009, at a total charge of $7.2bn in 2009 (6). An effective novel treatment within this indication is likely to make a major contribution for the treatment of this disorder.
1) Schuppan & Afdhal, 2008. Lancet. 371: 838-851
2) Blachier et. al., 2013. J. Hepatol. 58: 593-608
3) HCUPnet, Healthcare Cost and Utilization project, 2006
4) Yoneyama et. al., 2004. Dig. Dis. Sci., 49: 1174-1180
5) Planas et. al., 2004. J. Hepatol. 40: 823-830
6) Stepanova et al., 2012. Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 10:1034-1041